When I know we are shooting newborn photos at home, I give the parents the following advice:
1) It's all good. The baby is charge, so we go with the flow (aka it's not a big deal if I get pee'd or pooped on)
2) Make your bed using the lightest neutral colored comforter so you can lay around with baby!
3) Dress in neutral colors is my favorite advice. That way the photos can land anywhere in the house. For instance, if mama below was in Burgandy animal stripes and dad was in neon green and their house had a soft palette....it may not work as well as what they ended up wtih!
4) What should you wear in your newborn photos? For mom, be comfortable. I favor long dresses and maxi dresses
5) For dad, solid neutral colored sweater is my fav. Avoid tshirts and any large graphics
6) If you have grandparents that can make it to the shoot, DO IT!!! We can grab special pictures of them with baby!
7) Let go of expectations - it makes the session more relaxed for everyone
8 If you plan on having photos in the nursery captured, tidy up and clear off the nightstand
9) If you have any special ideas, share them!
My lovely client in the South Bay of Los Angeles where I live now (we are in Rancho Palos Verdes and no longer in Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach) knocked it out of the park with all of the above and we got the baby in the Fire Fighter hat too!
Mother's Day minis are here! I'm offering a 15 minute session at my house, quick and easy. I'd love to see you again or for the first time! It includes wardrobe consultation, a flower crown to borrow and time with you little ones. Dad/Grandparents can come in the final 5 minutes if you'd like.